Sunday, February 7, 2010

SBS strikes again

this is kinda late, but i think it is blog worthy material.

so on tuesday i went to mount faber to do some hillwork on the bike. it was my first time there since crashing there last sem.

i was pretty happy after 8 loops and felt that it was a good session done, so i headed back to NUS for my 10am tutorial.

that was then it happened.

a bus had spilled oil all over lane 3 along pasir panang road, the right side of the road where i tend to keep to while cycling. i could not move right into another lane as there was the morning traffic rush of cars zooming down the second lane, and i was forced to stay in lane 3. the oil was black, and on the black road surface, indistinguishable. as a result, i slipped and slidded in the oil. the bus had broken down in front, and my bike went off to one side of the bus, while my head smashed into the bottom right hand side of the bus. literally, my helmet saved my life.

the bus driver was very nice and helped me up, then called an ambulance for me. i had 3 patches of abrasion along my left leg, one of which had torn a hole in my tights and near my butt. scdf arrived soon at the scene to apply soap and wash off the oil. one of them used his hose to help me wash my wounds.

the ambulance arrived and here was something kinda ridiculous. they said they were not allowed to put my bike in the ambulance, and one of the medics asked whether i could lock my bike at the bus stop while they sent me to the hospital. i gave him a look which i hoped made him feel damn stupid over that ridiculous comment. in the end the issue was resolved when i offered the solution of me taking a cab back to hall to put my bike down before heading to the hospital. they actually needed an accident victim to come up with a solution for them.

to cut the long story short, i suffered abrasions on the left leg, a sprained wrist, and a bump on the head (could have been more than a bump of not for my helmet) i got backt o hall and have to thank iajie for alot of the help he gave me. went to nuh and got cleared and missed my tutorial. my bike got a couple of scratches, and i put it at ah boon for them to help me check it out and write an evaluation for the damage done so that i can submit to sbs for compensation.

as it turned out, another cyclist crashed due to the oil spill too. he broke a rear wheel. sbs is in trouble now.

as per what always happens after a crash, im a bit sick of the bike at the moment, though with season coming soon, i will have to get back into training soon.

good new at the end of the week. my bone scan showed that i didnt have any stress fracture, though the inflammation is there. will have to take my run slowly now to prevent it from getting any worse, and really train very sensibly to get my run fitness back in time for season.

No comments: