Friday, March 5, 2010

waikiki

this is waaay overdue.

waikiki organised by SMU on saturday. the first race of the season, first of 5 races over the next 7 weeks.

the race was a sprint D bi, 800m swim and 5k run. only ourselves, NTU and SIM were taking part since SMU could not as they were organising.

we sent in 2 teams, mine consisiting of myself, josh li, josh lim, lemin, zhiyun and patricia, and we were gonna race against the other 'team 1's' of the other unis.

after a bit of a warm up and race brief, we were started. the usual mess of a swim start was cut short as i sprinted the first stretch to the first buoy for us to turn. from then on it was clear for me all the way.

apparently in the middle of the usual swim start "fight" zhiyun got kicked and dislocated her shoulder. i only found out after the whole race that she popped her shoulder back in and restarted with the second wave.

i just kept going on in the swim, and it felt real good. i was first out from the swim.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

my transition was a mess. my swim cap refused to come off and my top went on inside-out,frontside-back. heck it, i was gonna do the adjustments to it on the run.

having not done ANY running speedwork for the past couple of months, it was obious that my lead would not last long. about halfway through the run, josh caught up and overtook me while i just wanted to hang on and at the same time maintain my form.

Photobucket

i finished and thanked God for a run without any pain in my shins. our two teams won both first and second placings and the juniors got a good exposure and learnt a few good lessons.

all in all it was another good outing for the team. rewarding as well!

Photobucket
team 1! (QK taking patricia's place)

Photobucket
team!

No comments: